During shaking - drop, cover, hold on
- Stay inside until after the shaking stops.
- Stay away from windows, shelves and heavy objects which may fall.
- DROP under heavy furniture such as a table, desk or any solid furniture.
- COVER your head, face and torso to prevent being hit by falling objects.
- HOLD ON to the object that you are under so that you remain covered. Be prepared to move with the object until the shaking has finished.
- If you can't get under something strong, or if you are in a hallway, crouch against an interior wall and protect your head and neck with your arms.
- Stay away from an exterior wall, as it is more likely to sustain damage during an earthquake.
After the shaking stops
- Count to 60 to allow debris to finish falling.
- Assess your immediate surroundings for dangers.
- Proceed with evacuation procedures:
- Walk, do not run.
- Do not use the elevator(s).
- If possible, assist anyone having difficulty in getting out, or if needed, help them to a safe area (e.g. Area of Refuge)
- Upon exiting the building, proceed to the designated Evacuation assembly area