Floor wardens are UFV employees trained to guide the UFV community during emergency evacuations. They also help prevent unsafe conditions that could lead to evacuations.
Floor warden responsibilities
Be ready to assist in evacuations
- Be familiar with your assigned areas and assist in a safe and orderly evacuation of building occupants in the event of an emergency evacuation.
- Participate in orientation and training opportunities.
- Participate in regular fire evacuation drills.
- Participate in post emergency assessments.
Help keep your assigned area safe
- Regularly check your assigned areas for accumulation of combustible materials.
- Regularly check for dangerous ignition sources.
- Report malfunctioning exit signs and check for adequate lighting in public areas.
- Ensure that exit routes are not obstructed.
- Report any safety concerns or hazards to Risk and Safety immediately.
To become a floor warden at UFV
The emergency management team approaches departments for volunteers to fill the floor warden role any time there is a gap in coverage for a specific building area. You are also welcome to volunteer to become a floor warden. To do so, please email Risk & Safety.