The Province of British Columbia is providing $1.14 million in funding to the South Asian Studies Institute at the University of the Fraser Valley (SASI) with support from the Abbotsford Community Foundation to deliver the South Asian Canadian Legacy Project (SACLP). The funding allows SASI to continue pushing forward work showcasing past and present contributions of the Punjabi community to British Columbia. We have built new partnerships as can be seen below:
The Project (2020-2022) is focused on implementing six projects:
- Exhibit of South Asian Canadian history to be developed in partnership with the Royal BC Museum.
- Research and development of resources on comprehensive South Asian Canadian Labour History in partnership with the BC Labour Heritage Centre
- Province wide digitization of South Asian Canadian collections, including artefacts, photos, texts, materials, oral histories and other resources which will be accessible to all through a digital archive – creating the South Asian Canadian Digital Archive (SACDA)
- Production of a public history book presenting South Asian Canadian social histories across British Columbia.
- Documentation and marking of 15 sites that are of historic importance to South Asian Canadians, which have been recognized by the BC Government.
- Learning resources for South Asian Canadian relevant social studies curriculum for K-12 schools in BC to be developed in partnership with Open School BC.
We are grateful to the Province of British Columbia for this incredible show of support and funding, and to our partner organization, the Royal BC Museum.