Effective Studying and Learning
Succeed academically with the help of the UFV Counselling department
The UFV Counselling Department offers:
1) APPOINTMENTS - Students may book individual counselling appointments to discuss any aspect of studying.
Sign up by contacting UFV Student Services.
On the Abbotsford Campus, Room B-214 or Phone (604) 854-4528, between 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
On the Chilliwack Campus, in "E" Building or Phone (604) 795-2808, between 9:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
2) STUDY SMART WORKSHOPS - A one or two-day period during the Fall and Winter Semesters when the counsellors offer a selection of workshops. Click here for details.
3) SELF HELP resources
Handouts Handouts on various topics can be found on the wall outside of Student Services.
Also check out these Writing Centre Handouts
Tips for academic success 1) Listening and note-taking is important, so improve these skills.
2) Manage your time!
3) Set goals, both personal and academic.
4) Know your resources, but most importantly - use them!
5) Don't be afraid to ask for help!
6) Go to every class, listen actively, participate and take notes.
7) Review your notes after every class.
8) Forming a study group can help you both academically and socially.
9) Study space is important. Find a quiet place to study that is free from distractions and provides good lighting.
10) Make a study schedule and follow it! Each hour spent in class should translate to three hours of studying!