Skip to main content

Student Services

Frequently asked questions

Questions about the Student Support Centre

Visit for the latest updates on UFV's COVID-19 response and the return to campus plan.

The Student Support Coordinators are not counsellors or advisors. Instead of offering specific mental health support or academic advice, a Student Support Coordinator can help with a wide variety of challenges that come up during a student’s time at university. We can provide information about resources on campus or in the community that may be useful to you, and help problem-solve barriers to getting support.

Any UFV student is eligible to access the SCC. You can be referred by a faculty member or you can self-refer by contacting

8:30 AM to 4:30 PM most weekdays. Under extenuating circumstances, we can be creative to make sure you get connected with someone if you are unavailable during those times.

Yes, the Student Support Centre is currently offering online and phone appointments. Contact for scheduling and more information.

Yes, UFV counselling, the Centre for Accessibility Services and many other services are still in operation. View the complete list here for more information.

Students are welcome to drop by room S3127 during office hours, but to ensure that a Student Support Coordinator is available to speak with you, try contacting or calling (604) 504-7441, extension 4856 first.

Yes! Although our offices are based in Abbotsford, Student Support Coordinators are available to meet at both the Abbotsford and Chilliwack campuses.

Faculty can refer to the online service PASS that enables instructors to identify and assist students who are falling behind.

Questions about academic standing

The best step is to make an appointment with an advisor. They have useful information on what this means and what the next steps are. If you are unable to get an appointment with advising quickly, reach out to or drop by our office for some information while you wait for your appointment. Remember that there are tutoring and other services on campus to help you succeed. Speak with a student support coordinator for more information.

Yes! It is always okay to ask. This does not mean that they will say yes. If there are extenuating circumstances, such as a medical issue, make sure you have documentation to show your instructor.

Consider the following:

  • Make sure that you ask as early as possible. Your professors will not usually allow an extension if you ask 1-2 days before.
  • Be clear about the reason you are asking for it. You do not have to go into details, but let them know the circumstances leading to this request.

Always communicate with your instructors through your UFV student email or through Blackboard if they have requested it and make sure to use professional language to communicate with your professor.

A 'W' means that you have withdrawn from your course past a certain date. Unless there appears to be a pattern of you withdrawing to avoid a failing grade, this shouldn’t impact you.

Unless there appears to be a pattern of you withdrawing to avoid a failing grade, this shouldn’t impact you. Many graduate schools accept students based on many criteria, and not grades alone. You will likely have the opportunity to speak to your academic record. Make sure to check the admission statements of your top choice schools to understand the qualities and qualifications they are looking for.

Contact Us