UFV's Teacher Education Program
Be a teacher, make a difference
UFV’s post-degree Teacher Education Program (TEP) prepares you to become an elementary, middle or secondary school teacher. If you’ve already earned a bachelor’s degree, this 12-month program can open the door for you to teach in public or private schools, locally or around the world.
The program equips you to become an agent in the changing landscape of 21st century educationby providing you with unique and innovative professional development opportunities:
- Core courses in social justice, special education, indigenous education, and second language instruction
- Instruction with a strong emphasis on transformative learning and developing critical thinking skills
- Focus on the integration of knowledge and practice in the classroom
- Thorough grounding in methodology to prepare you for your practicum
- Two planning and assessment courses to help you integrate all the methods courses
In addition to first-class instruction, you also benefit from the strong support of a close-knit intellectual community:
- You and your classmates move through the program as a cohort to foster collaboration, reflection and inquiry
- Your development as a teacher is enhanced by your participation in a professional learning community
- You receive extensive supervision during your practica
- You receive support as you transition out of the program to find employment. A high percentage of TEP graduates start their careers each year in our local school districts.
Upon successful completion of the program, you are recommended to the Ministry of Education to receive a BC teaching certificate through the Ministry of Education’s Teacher Regulation Branch.
The Teacher Education department at UFV focuses on social justice and inclusion. We value diversity and stress acceptance for all people, including those whose identities are influenced by factors such as race, ethnicity, social class, religion, gender, sexual orientation, language, mental or physical ability, or age.
We encourage you to meet with our Education Advisor and apply to the TEP.