What is a Faculty Mentor?
A faculty mentor supports and evaluates teacher candidates growth as they work through their practicum experiences towards certification readiness.
What are the Responsibilities of a Faculty Mentor?
- Design experiences for teacher candidates so that they have adequate information, preparation, instruction, and supervision during their practicum experiences.
- Provide feedback as needed to help your teacher candidates identify strengths and areas of needed growth in relation to Teacher Education values and goals.
- Work in partnership with the department head, education advisor, teacher mentors, and program coordinator(s).
- Develop systematic, on-going, and consistent procedures for observing and recording information about teacher candidates’ work in the school setting.
- Discuss your teacher candidates’ professional development and assess your teacher candidates’ progress in reaching certification readiness in relation to the goals of the Teacher Education Department.
- Attend teacher mentor and teacher candidate orientations and faculty mentor meetings.
- Independently write, discuss, and receive feedback from your teacher candidate and teacher mentor on your final report for EDUC 492 and formalize the closure of the placement.
- This position is a part-time opportunity that takes place from October to November and then from February to May.
What qualifications should a Faculty Mentor have?
Applicants should have demonstrated abilities in the following areas:
- Extensive experience mentoring in schools
- Extensive experience teaching in public schools
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with others
- Effective problem solver who can manage conflict in a productive and professional manner
- Strong familiarity with BC curriculum
- Experience with local school districts served by UFV’s Teacher Education Department
- Willing to drive to various sites in the Fraser Valley as needed
- Held, at one point, a valid BC teaching certificate in good standing
How do you submit an Expression of Interest to be a Faculty Mentor?
- Your Expression of Interest should include: cover letter addressing why you wish to be considered for the position of faculty mentor at UFV, CV demonstrating how you meet the qualifications listed above, and a minimum of two referees who can speak to your ability to mentor new teachers.
- Completed Expression of Interests should be directed to the Teacher Education department assistant, Suki Grewal (email@example.com).
Expression of Interests will be kept on file for 2yrs.
Short listed candidates will be contacted in late Spring for the following school year.
For more information contact Program Coordinators: Sandy Hill (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Janet Carroll (email@example.com).