University Relations Highlights
- In fiscal year 16/17, we raised $1.194 million for UFV, including major gifts, student awards, and in-kind equipment.
- We nearly tripled UFV Alumni Association revenue over the past two years, including negotiating two new affinity partnerships with TD Meloche Monnex and BMO Mastercard. The programs will serve our 38,000 alumni and raise funds for student awards.
- In August, UFV and the UFV Alumni Association teamed up to be a gold sponsor for the Abbotsford Air Show. We hosted a chalet for alumni, donors, industry and community guests, and a public photo booth in the cockpit of our 727 jet.
- In September, we published the UFV 2016 Community Report, featuring stories and infographics on how the university is changing lives and building community. The publication was distributed across the Fraser Valley in community newspapers.
- Throughout the fall, our student recruitment team visited more than 100 public and private high schools from Vancouver Island to the Okanagan. They gave presentations, exhibited at fairs, and distributed our newly redesigned UFV Viewbook, reaching upwards of 10,000 prospective students in person.
- We worked with the UFV Alumni Association to host the second annual UFV Alumni Open golf tournament on Sept 16, raising $15,000 net for the UFV Alumni Changes Lives Bursary Endowment for students in need. Our heartfelt appreciation to Chilliwack Golf Club, the 88 golfers, 24 sponsor organizations and many volunteers for making the event a success.
- On Nov 9, we brought together 250 members of the community and academia for UFV's Town & Gown, our second annual fundraising dinner, raising $132,000 for student scholarships. The UFV Alumni Association presented Distinguished Alumni and Young Distinguished Alumni awards to Gary Bass and Shannon Thiesen. Our sincerest thanks to presenting sponsor Prospera Credit Union and the many other sponsors, our community leaders team instrumental in table and ticket sales, silent auction donors, and all attendees for making the sold-out evening UFV’s first six-figure fundraiser event.
- Over the past year we produced seven President's Leadership Lecture Series events, some in partnership with the Student Union Society and Alumni Association, featuring Margaret Trudeau, Benjamin O'Keeffe, Linda Frimer, George Perry, Manon Labelle, Halldor Bjarnason and Derek Harnett.
- We partnered with external organizations throughout the year to sponsor events and initiatives, including the United Way, Prostate Cancer BC's Ride for the Cure, the Canadian Federation of University Women Abbotsford Chapter, Abbotsford Community Services' Fraser Valley Cultural Diversity Awards, and more.
- Strategic online, print and out-of-home advertising continued, and we produced several videos, including 'It's all in the family' and, 'How bursaries and scholarships can make a difference.'
- We launched enhanced alumni and donor monthly e-newsletters, and the curated UFV Now employee e-news.
- Proactive and responsive storytelling, media relations and social media continued. UFV media hits on mainstream media websites rose to 8 times per day (from 5) over the first half of 2017.
- Emergency communications drills and live situations such as power outages and weather closures have gone well. UFV Alert subscriptions now exceed 2000 users.
- We continue to evolve UFV's website into our new mobile responsive design. And, in partnership with UFV Information Technology Services and Office of the Registrar, we are launched UFV's new mobile app for Andriod and iPhone in January 2017. Downloaded more than 1500 times in its first month, this tool allows students to easily access personal info such as their class schedule and grades. It also includes handy campus information for the whole UFV community, such as bus schedules, a campus directory, events, and UFV news.
- In May 2017 we produced a special edition of UFV’s Skookum Magazine, featuring retiring President Mark Evered. A key publication in university communications, more than 23,000 copies are mailed to alumni, donors and friends of UFV, with another 3,000 distributed at events.
- In June, we led the event production of UFV’s Convocation, hosting thousands of graduates and guests over four ceremonies at the Abbotsford Centre. Honorary doctorate recipients were Kirsten Brazier, Dr. Nadine Caron, Andy Sidhu and Tamara Taggart.
- Also in June, we organized the UFV Excellence Awards event, honoring recipients Liana Thompson, Dr. Ian Affleck, Dr. Miriam Nichols, Dr. Ian Hunt, Cherish Forster and the UFV Global Lounge team.
- And in late June, we produced two farewell events for retiring President Mark and Mrs. Maureen Evered. The events raised in excess of $25,000 to create a named bursary endowment for students in honour of the Evereds' legacy.
Last updated July 2017.