Complete High School

Adult Graduation Diploma (Gr. 12 equivalency / Adult Dogwood)

Adults who did not graduate from high school can complete high school with the BC Adult Graduation Diploma (Adult Dogwood). Adult Basic Education (ABE) courses at UFV count toward graduation, and UUP staff can help you figure out which courses you need. Email or make an advising appointment by filling out our Book a UUP appointment form.

Graduation Requirements

To complete the Adult Graduation Diploma (Adult Dogwood), students must:

  • earn at least 20 credits in the secondary system or
  • complete five ABE courses in the post-secondary system.

NOTE: Courses from both systems can be counted toward graduation.

For entry into ABE courses, students must meet one of the following criteria:

  • be at least 19 years of age
  • have a high school graduation diploma or
  • be 17 or 18, and out of public school of at least one year

Students must take one English course and one math course from below:

BC Secondary System courses UFV Adult Basic Education (ABE) courses

A Language Arts 12 course

OR A 3-credit Provincial Level English course, ENGL 091 or higher

A Math 11 or Math 12 course

OR An Advanced Level math course,
MATH 084, MATH 085, or higher

In addition to the English and math courses above, students must also complete three ABE courses OR choose either Option 1 or Option 2 from below:

BC Secondary System courses UFV Adult Basic Education (ABE) courses

Option 1
Three 4-credit Grade 12-level Ministry Authorized courses 


Option 1
Three additional courses at the Provincial Level or
post-secondary level

Option 2
Choose one (4 credits each):

  • Social Studies 11
  • BC First Nations
    Studies 12
  • Civic Studies 11


  • Two 4-credit Grade 12-level Ministry Authorized courses

Option 2
Three courses:

  • One Advanced Level Social Sciences course AND
  • Two Provincial Level or post-secondary courses
Total: 20 credits   Total: 5 courses

For more information, visit the BC Ministry of Education website, or Book a UUP appointment with a UFV Upgrading and University Preparation instructional assistant.

NOTE: University courses higher than Provincial Level ABE courses may not be accepted for university transfer. Students should check with the institution they are applying to in order to find out about transferability.

How to Apply for the BC Adult Graduation Diploma (Adult Dogwood)

The deadline to apply is April 1. ABE and ABEUP students are not required to pay the graduation fee.

  1. Print the Graduation Request form.
  2. Fill out the form and attach your UFV transcript showing five complete ABE courses.
  3. Submit the form to UFV's Office of the Registrar.

Upgrading courses are tuition-free at UFV

If you are a domestic student, Adult Basic Education and English Language Studies courses are tuition-free. And you may qualify for a grant to cover other costs.

Apply now


When I couldn't help my son with his geometry homework, I knew it was time to go back to school. I contacted UUP, graduated a year later, and decided to embark on a nursing career.

Read more


I dropped out of high school at 16, and returning to school seemed daunting. Upgrading at UFV gave me the confidence to succeed.

Read more


Twitter Facebook Linkedin Flikr UFV on Google+ YouTube goUFV