Sessional Faculty, Drawing
Abbotsford campus, C1104
Phone: 604-504-7441, Ext. 4323email Dennis
The expansiveness and quiet energy of coastal B.C. are strongly evident in the imagery and muted palette of my recent paintings. I have been experimenting with working on various surfaces including aluminum as well as using cold wax with oil paint in an attempt to simulate the translucency of the rainy west coast atmosphere and I have developed a personalized style that translates and interprets nature through saturated layers of transparent glazes. My art is a transformative interpretation rather than a literal rendering with the intention of evoking the emotion, memory, and essence of the west coast landscape.
Dennis Greer received a BFA, majoring in painting, from the University of Alberta in Edmonton Alberta and a Graduate Diploma in illustration from Sheridon College of Art and Design in Oakville Ontario.
Upon graduating from the UofA he was immediately employed as an illustrator/graphic designer for the Edmonton Separate School Board where he illustrated various books and posters curriculum materials. He then went on to be an illustrator and museum display artist with the Government of Alberta, in the Historic Sites Dept. and after moving to British Columbia, was, for over fifteen years, the “Artistic Coordinator” for WorkSafe-BC where he designed and illustrated various safety related manuals and posters.
His teaching experience includes stints with the UofA and Grant MacEwan Community College in Edmonton as well as Vancouver Community College and Emily Carr University of Art and Design in Vancouver. He is currently teaching drawing and illustration at the University of the Fraser Valley in Abbotsford B.C.
Dennis’ home and studio is in the Commercial Drive community of Vancouver, British Columbia. He is currently working on paintings for a show in Hung Jo China in the fall of 2018.
B.F.A., (Painting/Drawing) University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Post-Graduate Studies, (Illustration) Sheridan College, Oakville, Ontario
• Illustrator/Graphic Artist, Edmonton Separate School Board,
Edmonton, Alberta. 1982-86
• Advanced Painting/Drawing Instructor, Yukon Summer School
of the Arts, Whitehorse, Yukon Terr. 1986-88
• Painting/Drawing Instructor, U. of A. Continuing Education dept.,
Edmonton. Alta. 1986
• Display Artist/Illustrator, Historical Sites Dept., Government of Alta.,
Edmonton, Alta. 1988-90
• Illustration/Drawing/Art History Instructor, Grant McEwan Community
College, Edmonton 1990-2
• Illustration/Computer Art Instructor, Vancouver Community College,
Continuing Ed., Vancouver, B.C. 1992-96
• Illustration/Computer Art Instructor, Emily Carr Institute of Art &
Design, Vancouver, B.C. 1996-98
• Artistic Coordinator, Communications Dept., Workers’Compensation
Board of B.C., Richmond, B.C. 1992-2005
• Drawing/Painting Instructor, University of the Fraser Valley,
• 1980 Brig House Gallery, U. of A., B.F.A. Group show
• 1982 Lefebvre Gallery, Edmonton, Alta., Group shows
• 1984 Latitude 53 Gallery, Edmonton, Group show
• 1987 Whitehorse Centre for the Arts, One-person show
• 1992 Grant McEwan Community College, Edmonton, Alta., Faculty show
• 1994 Federation of Canadian Artists Gallery, Vancouver, B.C., One-person show
• 1995 Rivoli Gallery, Toronto, Ont. Group show
• 1996 Federation of Canadian Artists Gallery, Vancouver, B.C., Group show
• 1998 Vancouver East Culture Centre, Vancouver, B.C., One-person show
• 1999 Firehall Arts Centre, Vancouver, B.C., One-person show
• 2002 The Yada Gallery, Vancouver, B.C., One-person show
• 2007 Waterfront Theatre Gallery, Granville Island, One-person show
• 2008 Theatreworks Lobby Gallery, Granville Island, One-person show
• 2009 Laighdon Gallery, Vancouver, B.C.. Group show
• 2009 Reach Gallery, Abbotsford, B.C.UFV Faculty show
• 2014 Libra Room, Vancouver, One-person show.
• 2015 S’ELIYEMETAXWTEXW Art Gallery, One person show
• 2017 Performance Works Gallery, Vancouver. One person show
• 2017 City Scape Arts Centre, Group show