Academic Calendar Winter/Summer 2019

Transfer to Other Institutions

You can begin your university studies at UFV and then transfer to many different arts, science, and professional degrees at other universities. In order to do so, you must choose courses that are fully transferable to the receiving institution. Obtain calendars from the university to which you wish to transfer, and consult with an Academic Advisor to assist with course planning.

If you plan to take UFV courses with the intention of transferring later, you may apply for Qualifying Studies or Engineering Transfer (whichever suits your goals most closely).

In many arts, science, and applied subjects you can complete a four-year bachelor's degree at UFV; for others you can complete one or two years at UFV and then transfer to finish the degree elsewhere.

The transferability of UFV courses to B.C. universities is listed in the B.C. Council on Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT) online transfer guide at BCCAT also publishes a booklet, "Tips for Transfer" available online or from Student Services. This booklet includes a transfer planning checklist, answers questions about transfer, and provides many useful hints for transfer students.

The B.C. transfer guide does not include all upper-level transfer credit. For transfer of courses not found in the B.C. transfer guide, including transfer of courses outside B.C., consult the institution you wish to attend.

In order to do your UFV course planning, you must be familiar with the degree program at the university to which you wish to transfer. An Academic Advisor can assist you in understanding the university calendars, and planning your UFV courses.

University regulations vary with respect to transfer, but the following guidelines generally apply:

  • Students usually complete a full first year (30 credits/10 courses) before transferring.
  • Grades less than C are not assured of transfer credit.
  • A cumulative grade point average of at least 2.00 (C average) may be required.
  • Some universities impose quotas on the number of students admitted to certain programs. In such cases, grade point averages well above the minimum will be required.
  • Students may not normally transfer more than 60 credits towards a four-year degree (residency requirement)
  • Transfer credit is always evaluated by the post-secondary institution from which the credential is to be obtained. If you have credit from a previous post-secondary institution, plan to take additional credits at UFV and then transfer to another university to obtain a credential there, the course work at the first post-secondary institution may not need to be evaluated by UFV. However, you may need transfer credit evaluated to meet UFV course prerequisites.
  • Some institutions may recalculate your grade point average, including all attempts of any repeated courses.
  • Major universities usually only give credit for upper-level courses (300- and 400-level) on a case by case basis. These courses are not generally included in formal transfer guides.

Professional program preparation

UFV offers programs in elementary teaching and nursing. You can also begin your studies toward a career in law, medicine, veterinary medicine, engineering, etc. at UFV. If you require assistance planning your program, make an appointment with an Advisor to discuss your program plan.

Contact advising at

Current Students