Students and Prospective Students
What is PLAR?
Prior Learning Assessment (PLAR) is a process that gives you the opportunity to receive credit for what you already know and can do. Qualified specialists at UFV assess the skills and knowledge that you have already acquired against learning outcomes of UFV courses or programs.
Students complete transfer credit assessment before pursuing PLAR.
Find out about learning vs experience
How PLAR can benefit you
Am I a Good Candidate?
The following criteria is a guideline only, and is not meant to be exhaustive. Contact your academic advisor or a faculty member to discuss your personal suitability.
Your employment history:
- You have at least five years of experience in one job or a number of closely related jobs.
- You have learned and continually upgraded your skills within your field of employment.
- You have a career plan and understand the place of educational goals within my career plan.
- You have entrepreneurial experience.
Your educational history:
- The knowledge and skills that you possess are a result of informal education such as classes taken at a night school or through your employer or non-formal such as hobbies or independent study.
- You have taken post-secondary education that could not be given direct transfer credit.
- You have foreign credentials that have not been recognized in Canada which were completed with the past 5 years
- You have a credential that could not be given direct transfer credit, the credential is more than five years old but after completing the credential you continued to have learning experiences (employment, volunteerism, continuing professional development activities) in or outside of Canada reflecting your field of study.
Your personal history:
- You have volunteered your skills in the community.
- You are willing to take time to document your learning and explore ways to have it evaluated.
- You can provide evidence of your skills and knowledge.
After reading a course outline you have thought one or more of the following things:
- I’ve done this type of work before.
- I’m doing this type of work now.
- I feel comfortable that I already know how to do what is required in the course, but I’m not sure what evidence I can provide to prove it.
How do I get Started?
Click on a student to view their success story
Dorothy - Child and Youth Care
Practicum PLAR credit for skills, knowledge and abilities she demonstrated that were gained in her regular job
Alexandre - Modern Languages Russian
Credit for speaking, reading and writing his native language
Peter - Adult Education
Received 44 credits through program PLAR