Post-secondary transcripts and Transfer credits

A current official transcript is required from students who have attended, or are attending, another post-secondary institution.

All transcripts must arrive at UFV in envelopes which have been sealed and endorsed by the issuing institution. To be considered official, the seal and/or Registrar’s signature must be visible across the back flap of the envelope. Documents submitted in support of applications become the property of the University of the Fraser Valley and may not be returned to the applicant or student.

UFV also accepts e-transcripts (XML exchange) from BC partner institutions (UBC, SFU, KPU, Capilano University, Douglas College, and Langara College) and from secure exchange services (Parchment.comeScrip-Safe.comNational Student

For students with post-secondary documents that originate outside Canada, a $75 document evaluation fee is charged for domestic students, and $250 for international students (one fee covers all transcripts submitted at one time).

Transferring credits

If you intend to use post-secondary credits from another institution toward a UFV credential, apply for transfer credit at least three to four months prior to application for graduation.

Transfer credit can be assigned in several ways:

  • Credit for a specific UFV course.
  • Unassigned discipline credit, e.g., BUS IXX (3) — Business lower level (3 credits), given when the course does not have an exact equivalent, or we have not evaluated the course, but we recognize it for credit in a particular discipline.
  • General unassigned credit e.g., GE IXX (3) — lower level unassigned credit, or GE 3XX (3) — upper level unassigned credit, given when we have not articulated a course, do not offer the discipline, or when block credit is given for a program.

Determining transfer credit can sometimes be a lengthy process. If a course has not been previously articulated, you will need to submit a detailed course outline for the department to review, to determine transfer credit. To save time, we suggest you provide course outlines for courses taken outside B.C. when you submit your official transcript.

For information about transfer credit from other B.C. institutions, consult the BC transfer guide.

Once your transfer evaluation is complete the Office of the Registrar will contact you, usually at your UFV email address, letting you know that you can review your transfer credit through your myUFV account.

Watch a tutorial video about viewing and interpreting transfer credits

Using your transfer credit

Transfer credit is awarded on an institutional basis, not for a specific program, so you may not be able to use all transfer credit granted towards a particular program.

How much of your transfer credit can be applied to your program will depend upon the type of courses you transferred, and the amount of transfer credit that is permitted in your program. You should discuss how your transfer credit will apply to your program with the program head, program advisor, or an  academic advisor.

The "residency requirement" for the program is the proportion of credit that must be taken at UFV. It varies from 25-50% of the credits required for a program.

Check your myUFV record for your transfer credit. For enquiries, contact Admissions at the Office of the Registrar at, or 604-854-4501 or toll-free at 1-888-823-8734.

View more information about high school transcripts.

Preparing for programs at other institutions

If you plan to begin your studies at UFV to prepare for a degree or professional program at another institution, make an appointment to see an academic advisor.

The BC Transfer Guide lists transfer credit agreements between B.C. post-secondary institutions. At this time, mostly lower-level courses are listed. For information about transferring courses not found in the BC Transfer Guide, contact the institution you wish to attend.

Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition (PLAR)

Prior learning assessment is a process that can allow you to earn credit for skills and knowledge you already possess, regardless of how and where your learning took place. For more details, contact UFV PLAR.

Contact Us