Early Childhood Education certificate
Our intake takes place every Fall.
Early Childhood Education Certificate is a 4 four-semester evening (except practicum) program leading to provincial licensing as an early childhood educator. It is offered in Abbotsford and Chilliwack.
The four-semester certificate program requires basic courses in English or Communications, interpersonal relations, child growth and development, working with children, and the early childhood curriculum.
Students in the ECE certificate program must maintain semester and cumulative grade point average of at least 2.33 (C+) in order to be awarded the certificate. Students who do not maintain the required cumulative GPA will be placed on Academic Warning for one semester. If they do not attain the required GPA they will need to meet with the department head before continuance in the program. They may need to withdraw from the program.
Before taking practicum, you will be required to obtain a TB clearance (as required as per Community Care Facilities Licensing Legislation), medical clearance as well as a criminal record check, and any requirements of the practicum centre.
After completing this program, graduates can be licensed as early childhood educators by the Provincial Licensing Board, upon completion of provincial requirements (a First Aid course, and 500 hours of independent practice).
Following completion of the certificate, students who wish to continue their studies can ladder into the following diploma programs:
- Diploma in Early Childhood Education
- Special Needs Diploma
- Infancy Diploma
- Associate Studies in Early Childhood Education
- 4 semesters (2 years part time).
- Early Childhood Education Certificate requires completion of 49.5 credits
- Completion of UFV ECE Certificate or Ministry of Children and Families License to Operate for non-UFV applicants provides admission to Diploma program
- Two practica consisting of 200 hours each are required to complete the program