Each November, Canadians from coast-to-coast-to-coast celebrate the importance of accessing meaningful work and all those that help us in connecting with our preferred futures. Canada Career Month volunteers work to advance the agenda of improving access to career services and education so that all Canadians are better prepared to develop their careers and transition into the emergent labour market. See Canada Career Month for the annual theme.
Find an event
Find a full listing of Career Month events on the UFV Events Calendar. Check back often, there are more listings every day and some events require students and alumni to register in advance.
Keynote speaker: Alyson Seale
Date: November 1, 2022
Time: 12–1:30 pm
Let Your Disability Help Amplify Your Employment Success
Finding a job can be a daunting endeavour. It is even harder when you must consider disclosing your disability or not. Join us to talk about strategies to amplify your employment success by building confidence, asking for what we need during the recruiting and hiring process, and learning how to engage potential employers in conversations about disability, and how beneficial you and your disability will be to the organization.
Alyson has been working in the field of disability for more than 30 years and is currently an Associate Professor at the University of the Fraser Valley teaching in a pre-employment program for people with disabilities. She has served on the board of directors for her local society for community living and several community employment committees promoting employment for people with disabilities. Alyson has an undergraduate in Adult Education, a masters in Community Rehabilitation and Disability Studies, and is a seasoned speaker/consultant. She loves to tailor her speaking to the individual group needs, provide rich examples, a sprinkling of humor and always provides resources for participants to take their learning further. For more info, check out www.alysonseale.ca.
Host a career month event!
Are you planning a Career Month event for UFV students and alumni? For UFV student Clubs and Associations, Faculty or Staff:
- Plan your event to take place either online or in-person (following current UFV and provincial health guidelines). See Event Resources for venues and suppliers
- For in-person events, submit your Event Safety Plan at least two weeks in advance of the event
- Set up your virtual space (on a platform like Zoom, social media, etc.), or book your in-person space
- Complete the UFV Student Organization Event Application form (Clubs and Associations only)
- Submit your event to UFV Now to be included in UFV Now and UFV Events Calendar. Include Career Month in the event name and select Centre for Experiential and Career Education as a category tag (and any other related categories) for UFV’s website calendar feed. Faculty, staff, and administrative units can also submit student-related event announcements to the VP, Students newsletter
- Use your own channels to promote your event to students and alumni. See Canada Career Month Logos and Templates. Tag CECE (@UFVjobs) in your social media posts on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. If your event is open to the public, you can showcase your event on Canada Career Month.
- If registration is required, send information to participants to join your event
Staff and Faculty: for more information or assistance, please contact email@example.com
Clubs and Associations: for more information or assistance, please contact Sheila.McKay@ufv.ca