Counselling Workshops & Support Groups
To get regular updates of what workshops and support groups UFV Counsellors provide, please like or follow us on Facebook.
Last Updated: January 12, 2021
Events, support groups, and workshops
Our UFV counsellors offer a variety of events, workshops, and support groups for students throughout the year. Each of these sessions provide a great opportunity to learn with others who are experiencing similar challenges.
If you can't make a workshop, you can book an appointment to meet with a counsellor individually. For more information, visit us at Student Services on the Abbotsford campus in Room B214 (or call 604 854-4528), or on the Chilliwack campus in Room A1318 (or call 604-795-2808), or you can also send us an email.
Breaking the cycle of procrastination: building awareness, compassion, and tools to more effectively engage in learning.
Wednesdays - Jan 27, Feb 3 & 10 - 1:30pm to 3:30pm online via Zoom
This workshop is offered over three weeks and will involve self- reflective activities, personal processing, group discussion/processing, and tools to help you to:
Build awareness of what is going on underneath your personal procrastination/perfectionism cycle
Gain insight and tools to deal with self-critical beliefs and rigid expectations that contribute to avoidance patterns
Develop time management/organizational skills and find a centering/grounding routine to reach your learning goals and adapt to an online learning context
The content of the workshop is divided into three weeks, so attendance at all three sessions is required.
Register on MyCampusLife!
Previous Support Groups / Workshops:
Mini Mindfulness Series: INTRODUCTION TO MINDFULNESS
Introduction to Mindfulness - Nov 9, 2020, 2-2:30pm
Feeling Overwhelmed - Nov 10, 2020, 1-1:30pm
Self-Care - Nov 18, 2020, 6-6:30pm
Adopting to change even when you don't want to - Nov 24, 2020, 1-1:30pm
Feeling Isolated - Dec 2, 2020, 6-6:30pm
In a world of doing, doing, doing, it is important to take a moment to just be and to just breathe. Mindfulness is a well-researched, effective means of promoting well-being. In this unprecedented time, it is especially important to be kind to yourself and focus on your well-being.
Join UFV counseling services and campus living for our mindfulness mini-series to help relax your body and mind over a span of 4 weeks including five 20 minute sessions.
5 benefits of mindfulness for students
- Reducing your overall stress and anxiety
- Improving your focus for assignments and tests
- Enhancing your creativity so you can think of new ideas and try new things
- Improving your listening and communication skills for classes or presentations
- Increasing your emotional resilience so you feel better prepared to handle the roller coaster moments of life
Save Your Semester: Study Skills Workshops
Brought to you by the UFV counsellors
Oct 26-28, 2020, 12-1pm
Online via Zoom
Oct 26: Learn Your Way and Discover Your Learning Style
Discover your natural learning style to be engaged in your studies and have fun while learning. In this workshop you will explore learning strategies that draw on and engage your natural learning style.
Oct 27: Too Many Assignments, Too Little Time
Learn some time management tools for assignments and studying for exams and how to deal with procrastination as you tackle your school year.
Oct 28: Test Anxiety and Beyond
Come and learn some practical strategies for managing feelings of anxiety and stress in a relaxed, supportive and engaging environment!
Breaking the cycle of procrastination: building awareness, compassion, and tools to more effectively engage in learning
Do you deal with procrastination and find yourself avoiding homework? Do you have high standards that get in the way of starting your work? Has the transition to online learning been difficult? We have just the workshop for you! This workshop is offered over three weeks and will involve self-reflective activities, personal processing, group discussion/processing, and tools to help you to:
- Build awareness of what is going on underneath your personal procrastination/perrectionism cycle
- Gain insight and tools to deal with self-critical beliefs and rigid expectations that contribute to avoidance patterns
- Develop time management/organizational skills and find a centering/grounding routine to reach your learning goals and adapt to an online learning context
LGBTQIA2S+ Support Group
Brought to you by UFV Pride Collective and UFV Counsellors.
With classes now being online, many LGBTQIA2S+ students have not been able to access their usual safe spaces on campus. UFV Pride Collect and UFV Counsellors are collaborating to create a virtual safe space: the LGBTQIA2S+ Support Group. The Support Group meetings are confidential and will take place every two weeks on Tuesday, from 1:00pm-2:30pm on Blue Jeans
Previous topics included:
- Connecting with the LGBTQIA2S+ Community
- (Not) Coming Out
- Demystifying Sexuality
- Checking In & Exploring the Future
Mindfully Decreasing Anxiety Workshop
Brought to you by the Student Support Centre and Counselling departments
Previous sessions included:
- Develop skills to reduce anxiety and be less overwhelmed. During those roller coaster emotional moments of anxiety, learn how to access the tools within you to calm your anxiety. Research shows that mindfulness helps us lessen anxiety.
- Stressing Out? Learn this mindful 4 step technique called S.T.O.P.
- Comfort During Uncertainty. Gather the scattered mind and relate more skillfully to difficult emotions as they arise using mindfulness.
- Mindfully Decreasing Anxiety. Develop skills to reduce anxiety and be less overwhelmed. During those roller coaster emotional moments of anxiety, learn how to access the tools within you to calm your anxiety. Research shows that mindfulness helps us lessen anxiety.
- Loving Kindness, learn a powerful ancient practice that increases positive emotions, quiets the inner critic, increases compassion and strengthens your capacity for empathy.
Adjusting to challenges of online learning during COVID-19
Has the transition to online learning been overwhelming? Are you feeling stuck in ineffective habits? Join two of our counsellors, Marnie and Najmi, to learn more about adapting to the challenges of online learning during COVID-19. This is a three week virtual workshop.
Future Dates TBD
Career and Life Planning Workshops
UFV offers free career and life planning workshops for students and members of the community. These workshops explore career and life options through self-assessments, exploring the world of work, as well as decision-making and action steps.
World of Work Assessment
- Online Research
- Career Assessments
- Labour Market Demands
- Education and Career Paths
Decision Making & Next Steps
- Group Work
- One-on-one Assistance
Save Your Semester Workshop
Join UFV Counsellors for a study skills workshop at the most crucial time of the semester! Students will work on identifying their learning styles to find for themselves the most effective ways to study, learn ways to manage common struggles such as test anxiety and be introduced to tips for effective studying and time management strategies.
Upcoming session(s): TBA
There will be opportunities to ask questions, socialize, and free healthy snacks will be available!