Study English for personal, academic and professional success
UFV’s English Language Studies (ELS) Certificate Program is designed for intermediate to advanced-level adult English language learners who are planning to pursue university-level studies or professional employment where English is the primary language of communication.
This multi-skill program is organized around four levels of English language proficiency and corresponding certificates. Across the four levels of the program, core language skills (speaking, listening, pronunciation, reading, vocabulary, writing and grammar) are integrated with the sociocultural knowledge, academic language, and literacy skills that students need to succeed in academic and professional environments.
We offer small classes (maximum 20 students) taught by highly qualified instructors and our courses are offered in the Fall, Winter, and Summer semesters. The program is flexible to accommodate the unique needs of different learners: you can study part-time (as few as 3 hours per week) or full-time (as much as 15 hours per week). Students can complete full program certificates or just single courses to improve in specific language skill areas.
Many courses are offered in blended format, a combination of in-person and online learning for increased flexibility. Courses in the program are provincially articulated through the British Colombia Council on Admissions and Transfer (BCCAT) and follow principles and language proficiency descriptors of the Canadian Language Benchmarks.
In UFV’s ELS Certificate Program, you will learn to:
- Use effective communication strategies when participating in group work and team projects
- Understand academic lectures and take effective notes during demonstrations and lectures
- Make presentations for academic and professional audiences
- Read and analyze academic books, articles and research with effective note-taking strategies
- Research, plan, and write academic essays with appropriate citations and references
- Apply academic success and language awareness strategies to use English more confidently
- Use critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Recognize cross-cultural similarities and differences to work well with others across cultures
- Participate in the broader UFV community and beyond
If you want to improve your English to pursue university studies or to get ahead in your profession, UFV’s ELS Certificate Program is for you.
Tuition free for domestic students
Canadian citizens and permanent residents do not pay tuition fees for ELS courses, although other fees still apply. For more information about fees and financial assistance for domestic students, visit the Fees & costs page.