Research, Engagement and Graduate Studies

ROSA support

Research Option and Scholarly Activity (ROSA)

Scholarly activity and research option funding provides permanent teaching faculty the opportunity to apply for a one-section course reduction in teaching load when they have a project which is too substantial to be completed as part of their regular workload -or-

Faculty can apply for funding to support research projects when there is evidence that the project cannot be completed unless they receive additional funding to supplement what is available to them (e.g. external grants, etc.).

Faculty who hold a major grant receive one release and are required to fill out the Research Options for Grant Holders form in ROMEO. NSERC, SSHRC and CIHR applicants may apply for a release that, if approved, they may take if they are not successful in their Tri-Council application.

If you would like assistance with your application, email

ROSA Handbook

How to submit an application:


Choose your stream and apply

Determine which application stream best fits your proposal and fill out the appropriate form found in ROMEO, the new ‌research administration tool. The application form includes instructions and guidelines. For assistance with ROMEO, find tutorials here, or contact

If you are a major grant holder, fill out the research option for grant holders form in ROMEO.


Notify your department

Notify your department head that you have applied for a release.


Submit your application

Submit your application once completed, in ROMEO.


What's next?

Once submitted, applications will be reviewed and distributed to the appropriate subcommittee.

The Teaching Faculty Research Option subcommittee and the Scholarly Activity Option subcommittee function as separate committees.

If you receive a ROSA release, you will need to submit a final research report at the end of the activity. The report can be filled out and submitted through ROMEO.

Contact Us