The Visual Arts (VA), and the Graphic + Digital Design (GDD) Departments
The University of the Fraser Valley (UFV), Abbotsford BC, Canada
The project has been running biannually since 2009 with its aim to foster imagination, criticality, visual thinking, graphic design skills and promote social awareness and activism.
Theme of the 5th pARTicipate Poster Competition:
Yes to the Arts and Humanities!
The 5th pARTicipate Poster Competition with its theme focused on the Arts and Humanities is an invitation to celebrate and promote disciplines that explore and evaluate the many ways people express, define and understand themselves, each other and the world. The strength of this branch of study is in encouraging intellectual curiosity, reflection, critical inquiry, cultural understanding, discovery and collaboration. Skills learned in the Arts and Humanities such as imaginative response, innovative problem solving, interpretation and argumentation are valuable in a wide range of jobs especially in this century characterized by rapid change and modern concerns.
The objective of the 5th pARTicipate Poster Competition is to reaffirm and promote the Arts and Humanities emphasizing their central role through education in fostering engaged, competent democratic citizenry.
1. Convey a strong message instantly. It must be easily read from a distance – concept, image and/or words.
2. Concise concept or idea – poster is self-explanatory.
3. Effective contrast, spatial depth and scale.
4. Clear typographic application that emphasizes the message.
5. Poster is well conceived and properly executed.
6. Overall design is current, appropriate and relevant to the competition’s main theme.
- all current UFV students
Each participant may submit up to two entries.
Adhering to the concept “think locally - act globally” the target audience is Abbotsford, Mission, Chilliwack, Hope, the Fraser Valley community, and beyond.
1. 1. Signed “Registration and Agreement” with written “Rationale” (no more than100 words) – the form is available on the VA website under “pARTicipate” at https://www.ufv.ca/visual-arts/participate-/ and must be submitted together with poster entries.
2. Poster design must be submitted in both print and digital formats.
Print: 16" x 22" / 56 cm x 44 cm in portrait or landscape format.
3. All written text should appear in English.
4. All submissions must be original. Copyrighted characters©, copyrighted clip art or graphic art, or copyright-free clip or graphic art will not be accepted.
All entries – PDFs of posters together with Registration and Agreement together with written Rationale – must be emailed to the Visual Arts Office at UFV: email@example.com no later than Friday, February 9, 2018, at noon.
1. Originality: Innovation and effectiveness.
2. Visual Hierarchy: Typography, image, colour and layout.
3. Final Solution: Impactful and creates awareness.
A panel of selected judges (tbd) will review the entries and nominate the winners.
Winners and Prizes
1. All shortlisted artists and the winners will be acknowledged.
2. Selected posters will be exhibited at UFV between March 1-15, 2018 and featured on the Visual Arts website and Graphic + Digital Design Department blog.
3. Winners will be announced and notified during the week of March 13-17, 2018.
Participants should not call or email to request results in advance.
4. The official award ceremony date tbd.
Right of use
By submitting an entry all participants:
1. Declare that they are the creator/owner of the image(s) used in the artwork.
2. Agree to allow the Visual Arts and Graphic + Digital Design Departments, and the UFV to publish their works and names without compensation.
3. Agree to allow VA and GDD Departments, and UFV to reproduce the winning art entries in posters, postcards and other publicity and advertising without compensation. Winners relinquish any rights to royalties or any form of reimbursement other that contest awards. All winning entries become the property of UFV. The artists retain copyright of their work and allow full use of the work for philanthropic purposes. http://capic.org/copyright-laws/
Winning places and prizes to be awarded - tbd
Contributors of Prizes/Awards - tbd