The Bachelor of Arts in Global Development Studies (GDS) is a broadly interdisciplinary program designed to equip students with the critical academic knowledge, skills and experience required to function effectively as development professionals in Canada or abroad or to continue on to graduate or other professional studies.
In addition to learning history and theory of development processes, and analyzing current global practices, international or domestic internships provide opportunities to make contacts and build skills.
- Equips you with strong advocacy, problem-solving, research, and writing skills.
- Promotes intercultural dialogue locally and abroad by drawing on topics in economics, political science, anthropology, sociology and communications.
- Presents unique internship opportunities with development organizations in Canada and internationally so you can apply what you learn in a global context.
- Develops focused disciplinary knowledge and skills by fulfilling requirements for a minor or an interdisciplinary concentration.
- Grounds you in the history and theory of global development processes and examines current debates in development practice.
Global development is a well-funded industry: in 2018 member countries of the Development Assistance Committee (DAC) donated a sum of USD 153.0 billion in official development assistance (ODA).
International development offers a diverse range of career opportunities in administration, research, fundraising, training, advocacy, and relief work. You could find yourself working for government agencies, international organizations, NGOs, private companies, or research institutes.
Adding specialized qualifications, such as logistics, urban planning, accounting, nursing, agriculture, or IT, to your Bachelor of Arts in Global Development Studies can boost your employment opportunities in international development. With substantial field experience, you may find freelance work as a trainer, consultant, or advisor.
The entrance requirements of the Bachelor of Arts degree will apply to the Global Development Studies program.
View entrance requirements for the Bachelor of Arts in Global Development Studies in the UFV Academic Calendar.