Deadline: Emeritus recommendations must be submitted to the appropriate Dean or University Librarian by February 15, 2019.
UFV grants the honourable designations of Professor and Librarian Emeritus in recognition of long service and contributions to the institution.
How does someone earn emeritus status?
The designation of "Professor Emeritus" or "Librarian Emeritus" may be awarded by the Board of Governors to a retired faculty member who has served a minimum of 15 years as a full-time faculty member or librarian at UFV. This time period may include service as a UFV Academic Administrator.
Nominees must meet the following Senate-approved criteria:
Faculty members that, upon retirement:
- demonstrated and documented distinction in teaching and learning;
- a record of sustained and productive scholarly activities that is recognized nationally and/or internationally;
- a record of outstanding and significant service to the University, the academic community, or the community at large.
Librarians that, upon retirement:
- demonstrated and documented distinction in professional practice;
- a record of sustained and productive scholarly activities that is recognized by professional peers;
- a record of outstanding and significant service to the University, the academic community, the professional community, or the community at large.
Recipients receive an official parchment during the UFV Excellence Awards Reception, and are recognized by name and discipline on a perpetual plaque installed in a publicly visible location close to the office of the Provost and Vice-President, Academic.
What entitlements are granted to a professor or librarian emeritus?
Recipients of this designation are entitled to emeritus/emerita status, UFV emeritus identification, library privileges, email privileges, and faculty parking privileges. Use of other UFV facilities and office space will be approved by a Dean depending on availability for current needs. With consent of the department concerned, the person may continue to attend department meetings with voice but no vote. Departments are encouraged to use the expertise of their emeritus colleagues as guest lecturers, substitute faculty and members of committees.
Emeritus recommendations must be submitted to the appropriate Dean or University Librarian by February 15, 2019. Nominations must include letters of support from the department and the current CV of the nominee. Upon receiving an emeritus nomination, the department or area will consider whether to recommend it to the appropriate Dean/University Librarian for consideration and support. Following approval by the appropriate Dean/University Librarian, nominations will be submitted to the Provost for approval and recommendation to the Board of Governors.
For procedural guidelines, refer to the UFV Policy 208 - Emeritus - Designation
If you have any questions, please contact:
Abbotsford campus, B300
Toll Free: 1-888-504-7441 ext. 4642email Nicole
Institutional Research and Integrated Planning