Central Receiving is located at the Abbotsford campus. All goods received are recorded and processed by the Shipper/Receiver, and distributed to the various final destinations by the Material Handlers.
Some materials ordered on Blanket Purchase Orders (BPOs) are delivered directly to the end user department who are responsible for the following:
- Verify that goods received on a blanket purchase are listed on the packing slip, and match the items ordered.
- Forward the packing slip to Finance for processing and record-keeping.
Tracking incoming shipments
- Items ordered on a Purchase Order (PO), contact Purchasing.
- Items ordered by the department, contact the supplier, and ask them to trace the shipment.
If the item has been received by UFV, but it has not arrived to the final destination (office/department), email email@example.com with the company of origin name, delivery date, the carrier, and the consignment/waybill number.
Cut-off time for outgoing shipments
- Same-day (more costly) service in the lower mainland: 9:45 am
- Domestic ground/air service: 2 pm
- International standard/premium:11:30 am*
Inter-campus, or off-campus shipments (no signature required)
Heavy freight and “hot” freight
- Handled as required
- Rates and services vary depending on time and destination
- Call local 4552 in Abbotsford, or local 4488 in Chilliwack for availability and cost information
*U.S and international shipments
- Require a commercial invoice for anything other than documents
- Require a description of the item(s), along with the shipping requisition form; include the country of origin, value, and purpose, even if there is no commercial value.
Shipping Requisition Forms
Shipping requisition forms are used for proof of delivery, and authorization to charge shipping costs to department, and recording and tracking shipments.
- Attach a shipping requisition to all out-going shipments that are to be handled by a contracted courier, and if tracking or a proof of delivery is required.
- Include a complete street address (in most countries couriers cannot deliver to a post office box), and if available, also provide a phone number and email address (this is particularly useful for residential and international shipments).
- If shipping collect (recipient to pay the freight) include the recipient's preferred courier company, their account number, or their credit card to be charged.
Shipping requisition forms can be obtained directly from the Logistics department, or at most departmental offices that have a reception area. You may also request a supply of shipping requisition forms by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Ensure the item(s) are well packed. If supplies or assistance is required, visit Shipping-Receiving in Abbotsford (B110), or Chilliwack (A1101).
Controlled hazardous materials require proper packaging, labeling, and documentation. Shipping does not have a supply of hazard labels or placards. If possible, please bring the material to be shipped in the original container in which it was received. Shipping will generate the necessary "Transportation of Dangerous Goods" documentation.
Many carriers require a signature for deliveries. Often there in’t anyone home to sign for personal packages.
- If alternate arrangements cannot be made, it is acceptable to have personal packages shipped to UFV as long as there are no charges, and there are no complications for UFV Logistics staff. Shipping-Receiving cannot be held responsible for packages received in damaged condition.
- If a personal shipment is expected, contact email@example.com ahead of time. When the goods arrive, pick up in the receiving area will be coordinated.
- Logistics cannot ship personal packages on behalf of clients if additional information and preparation is required.
- Packages with pre-printed labels, with freight to be paid by the recipient or on a credit card, are acceptable formats