Interested in becoming an SLG Leader?
Thank you for your interest in becoming an SLG Leader. Our next hiring cycle and information session will begin in March 2024.
If your class does not have an SLG session:
- Talk to your professor about the program and if they would be interested.
- Contact the SLG coordinator at email@example.com or stop by the SLG Centre in room C1007 to get more info.
- We will check if the class is academically challenging. Does the course have a high drop out rate or low-grade average?
What are the requirements?
- Good overall academic standing: GPA of 3.0 or better.
- Success in the class you would like to lead.
- Faculty approval (we'll work this out with you).
What are the benefits?
- Money: This is a paid position.
- Training: You will start with 3 days of workshops before the beginning of the school year, participate in training sessions during the semester, and meet regularly with your mentor for one-on-one coaching.
- Experience: The time you spend as an SLG leader will allow you to develop skills and traits that will make your resume stand out.
- Conference Opportunities: As a leader, you may get the opportunity to present at national and international conferences.
- Staff Parking Discount: As a work-study student, you will be able to get a parking discount that is priced lower than standard student parking passes.
- Friends: Our training sessions are a lot of fun, and you'll get to know other leaders who will be going through the same things you are.
- Priority Registration: To ensure your schedule works with the classes you support, you will get priority registration for each semester you work.
Quotes from previous SLG Leaders and Mentors
"SLG is such a wonderful program, and I am very fortunate to have been a part of it for 3 years. My highlight as a mentor is seeing my mentees improve and grow into their role as facilitators. Some of them are so nervous in the beginning, but grow out of it quickly after reflecting on their performance."
Gavyn, SLG Mentor
"As a student, I felt like I needed to be more involved on campus. SLG gave me the comfort of feeling like UFV is a second home, where I can build more life experiences, make more connections, and obtain useful work experience!"
Cheyanne, SLG Leader
“SLG has been an incredible learning experience not only as a student but also as a leader. SLG really helped me understand how I learn and how others learn. It has equipped me with numerous strategies for teaching and learning and it’s changed the way I process and understand information. I have become more of an independent learner and I have seen my students do the same. SLG has been a tremendous experience!”
Rabia, SLG Leader