- Ensures the lab policies and procedures are being followed by all students, staff and faculty while using the labs.
- Answers questions about UFV, IT Services, and other technology policies and procedures.
- Answers questions and provides software and hardware support to faculty, staff and fellow students in the lab.
- Organize, tidy and maintain lab areas during shifts.
- Assist and answer questions from students regarding UFV student printing processes.
- Ensure lab printer paper and toner is stocked and replenished.
- Assist users to get connected to UFV IT Services enterprise systems such as eduroam WI-FI and the myUFV mobile app.
- Escalate issues to other departmental areas of the University (e.g., Security for lost and found items, janitorial for clean-ups etc.).
- Other various lab duties as assigned by the coordinator.
- You must be registered and actively working on completing classes in the semester you are applying for (i.e., If you are applying for a position in the fall semester, proof of registration in UFV classes in the fall semester is required).
- You must be willing to work on both Chilliwack and Abbotsford campuses. Requests to work in specific labs cannot be facilitated. Transportation between campuses is available to all UFV students through the UFV Campus Commuter.
- You must be legally able to accept a contract of employment in Canada (Canadian citizens and permanent residents). For international students, this means a valid (non-expired) Social Insurance Number from Service Canada. As an international student, you will be required to provide a copy of this letter to UFV as a condition of your employment.
- In fall and winter semesters, Lab Monitor shifts can run until 10 pm, Monday–Thursday in the Abbotsford G210 lab. Applicant must be comfortable working independently during the evening hours.
- Computer Information Systems (CIS) and Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) students are preferred applicants given the technological requirements of the job; however, all UFV students who have an aptitude for technology are welcome to apply.
- Willingness to lead by example while representing IT Services by following lab policies while both on and off shift.
- Clear and calm communicator.
- Ability to maintain professionalism while ensuring lab policies are being followed by your student peers.
- IT Services Lab Monitors take shifts in the fall and winter semesters in the Abbotsford G210 drop-in lab as well as in the Abbotsford and Chilliwack library labs. In the summer semester, limited shifts are available in only the Abbotsford G210 lab.
- The computer lab position is designed for part-time work only as Lab Monitors are required to be active UFV students in that current semester. Lab Monitors can expect on average between 10-20 hours a week; however, these are on-call contracts which do not guarantee work.
- Hiring is done in the period between each semester’s end of registration period and the start of the next semester. This ensures the applicants have their courses for the applied for semester scheduled, so shifts can be offered based on their out-of-class availability.
- Once shifts are scheduled, they remain the same days and times throughout the semester. Shifts start on the same day as the semester start and end after the final exam period. Shifts are not scheduled during statutory holidays, UFV campus closures, or breaks between semesters.
- Depending on the number of returning Lab Monitors in a semester, Lab Monitor job openings may also get posted in the Career Centre under the CareerLink for Students.
- As student-employees, Lab Monitors are not members of the faculty and staff association and are not entitled to University benefits.
How to apply
To apply to become an IT Computer Lab Monitor, please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Returning lab monitors need to reapply each semester.
Be sure to include your class schedule for the semester you are applying for. Ideally, this would be a screen capture of your schedule from within myUFV that shows your full name and student ID number to verify identity.
Note: based on the volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.