Skip to main content

Child, Youth and Family Studies

Child, Youth and Family Studies

Information for prospective students

Considering one of our programs? Learn about the Early Childhood Education certificate and Bachelor of Arts in Child and Youth Care programs.

Find out more

Transform the lives of children, youth and families

If you value the rights of children and youth and can see yourself working to help them flourish and meet their full potential, then UFV's Child, Youth, and Family Studies (CYFS) department is the next logical step to a challenging but rewarding career in child and youth care.

Choose from four different paths and learn in a supportive environment from highly qualified faculty with practical experience and extensive research backgrounds. In addition to academic learning, all CYFS programs offer hands-on experience through practicum and seminars.

  • Complete the Bachelor of Arts in Child and Youth Care with an optional specialization in Child Protection to gain the knowledge and practical skills required to work with high-risk youth and families. 
  • Take the Child Life and Community Health graduate certificate to meet the requirements of the Association of Child Life Professionals (ACLP) to become eligible to write the Child Life Certification Exam.
  • Consider UFV’s Early Childhood Education certificate to acquire the competencies required to create effective learning and caring programs for children and launch your career as an Early Childhood Educator.
  • Earn your Early Childhood Education diploma before applying to the Provincial Licensing Board to register as a special needs or infancy supervisor. Please note that this program is currently suspended and being reviewed. Applications will not be accepted until further notice.

UFV’s Child, Youth and Family Studies programs provide you with the expertise you need to support the development of children and youth in their everyday lives.

As a graduate, you may seek employment in a variety of settings, including community programs, government-funded agencies, health-related foundations, or in the public school system.

Contact Us