Direct purchases are permitted for the procurement of goods and services at UFV provided they meet the following criteria:
- Purchases under $5,000 CDN (excluding all taxes).
When making direct purchases:
- You may not purchase software, computers, furniture, or other capital assets as a direct purchase;
- You may not split an order into multiple small orders to avoid the $5,000 limit;
- You may not use this process to hire temporary employees;
- You are responsible for the clarity of the information, including the deliverables and financial terms;
- You must verify contractor's insurance, WCB status, and withholding tax status; and
- You may not make an unauthorized purchase and then ask Procurement Services to create the appropriate documents after-the-fact.
How to make a direct purchase?
If your purchase meets the criteria as noted above, you may make a direct purchase through the following means:
- Blanket Order if your department has one in place;
- Use your P-Card; or
- Have the supplier send you a direct invoice that you can code, sign and send to Accounts Payable for processing.