Skip to main content

Academic Advising Centre

Admission tests

When applying for a graduate-level program you may be required to take a standardized admission test, but how do you know which one you need to take? 

Here’s a quick guide to help you find out which admission tests are most relevant to you. Click on the test name to learn more.

Note: Be sure to also check your program/school of interest for specific requirements.


TestWho asks for it?
Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT)
  • Most medical schools require the MCAT.
Dental Aptitude Test (DAT) and Manual Dexterity Test (DAT/MDT)
  • Most dental programs require the DAT.
  • Not all dental schools require the MDT portion.
Pharmacy College Admission Test (PCAT)
  • No Canadian schools require the PCAT but it may be required for US programs.
Graduate Record Exam (GRE)
  • Graduate programs including some business and law programs require the GRE.
Law School Admissions Test (LSAT)
  • Required for most law programs
Computer-Based Assessment for Sampling Personal Characteristics (Casper)
  • For UBC Physiotherapy, Occupational Therapy, Pharmacy, Undergraduate Nursing, and other programs.
Diplôme d'études en langue française and Diplôme approfondi de langue française (DELF/DALF)
  • Required if you wish to teach in French or certify your French-language skills

Contact Us