Introduced by the Western Canadian Deans of Graduate Studies, the Western Deans' Agreement (WDA) was established in 1974, as an expression of cooperation and mutual support among universities offering graduate programs in western Canada. Its primary purpose is the reciprocal enrichments of graduate programs in participating universities.
This agreement allows qualifying students to take courses towards their graduate program from member universities when courses are not offered at the home university.
UFV is pleased to be a member of the Western Canadian Deans of Graduate Studies.
WDA member universities (LINK)
Tuition and Fees
- Students pay tuition and general fees to their home university
- Students pay only applicable student activity fees to the host institution where they are taking a course.
How many credits can be taken?
General Regulations for Graduate Studies at UFV allow students to transfer up to 25% of their qualifying graduate credits toward their UFV program. When students take courses at a host institution under the WDA, they are counted as transfer credits.
How to Qualify
- Students must be in good standing in a UFV master’s, graduate diploma, or graduate certificate program.
- Students must have all UFV tuition and other fess paid up to date.
- Students must choose a course that is approved by their UFV graduate program committee. The course must be equivalent to what the program offers for its core or elective courses.
- This is typically used for students who are not able to take the course at UFV under exceptional circumstances (e.g., a leave has put them out of sync with their cohort).
UFV WDA Deadline
- UFV student applications should be submitted to their UFV supervisor at least 2 weeks prior to their host university deadline to allow for processing, and must be approved by the student's supervisor and the Graduate Program Committee.
- Visiting student applications, approved by their home university, must be submitted to UFV at least one month before the course/courses start.
How to get permission
UFV Students must:
- Meet with their supervisor and graduate program committee chair to discuss possible equivalent courses at host universities.
- Complete the WDA form and obtain required approvals, then submit it to the host university.
- Ensure they meet the host university’s requirements for deadlines, class capacities, and course prerequisites.
- Send their registration confirmation from the host university to UFV Registrar’s office as soon as they receive it.
- After completion of the course, request the host institution to send their official transcript to UFV Registrar’s office.
- Courses under this agreement must be completed within 12 months.
Visiting Students to UFV must
- Meet UFV’s requirements for deadlines, class capacities and course prerequisites.
- Have their home university complete and send their WDA authorization form to UFV well in advance of the course start date.
- Send their registration confirmation from UFV to their home institution as soon as they receive it.
- Arrange for official transcripts from UFV Registrar’s office to be sent to their home institution confirming successful completion of the course taken.
Still need help? Contact email@example.com.