Virtual and face-to-face supports offered by the ISC
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we want to ensure you know that we are still here to help virtually and face-to-face!
When attending UFV please ensure you are wearing your face mask and please stay home if you are not feeling well.
The Chilliwack and Abbotsford Student Lounge will be open for Indigenous Students. Masks are optional, and please be assured that computers and tables will be kept sanitary for student usage. If you would like to book an appointment with our Student Transition and Engagement Coordinator please email ISC@ufv.ca
ISC's Peer Tutor Richard will be available on Campus during the following days:
Tuesdays at the Abbotsford ISC - 11am to 1pm
Thursdays at the Chilliwack ISC - 9am to 11am
Updated information about the above supports can be found on our Facebook page, or email us for details.
It is with great pleasure and pride that we welcome you to the traditional unceded Territory of the Stó:lō Nation and to S’olh Shxwèlí , “Our Place” or the UFV Indigenous Student Centre. Within these traditional lands exist 24 member bands. Our Indigenous students include those who self-identify as First Nations status & non-status, Métis or Inuit. The purpose of our Indigenous Student Centre is to provide easy-access resources and a friendly, home-away-from-home environment to help our students in reaching their maximum potentials. We work to provide cultural and academic support, to help bridge the gap between the University and Indigenous peoples, and to help facilitate the Indigenization of our Academy.
Indigenous Student Centre is located at both the UFV Chilliwack campus at 45190 Caen Avenue in the “400 Wing”, and on the Abbotsford campus in the Student Union Building, room S1113.
Our cultural events are open to all students, and include lunches, circle meetings, Elder visits and gatherings, workshops, welcoming ceremonies, and several other activities on and off campus.
Our services include:
- Advocate for students with other UFV departments
- Make referrals and coordinate requests within UFV and to community agencies and other institutions.
- Provide academic support, tutoring, and liaison with other UFV departments
- Act as a liaison with post-secondary education authorities and First Nation organizations.
- Provide information on courses with Indigenous content
- Provide academic and trades program information
- Assist with applications and admissions processes
- Provide information on scholarships and bursaries
Our centres feature:
- Videos, books and other resource material with an Indigenous focus
- Computer workshops and study skill tips
- Computer lab access with internet and email.
Please come in and see us when you can.