Tuition Exemption for Older Adults
The University of the Fraser Valley exempts tuition fees for older adults for up to two courses (maximum 5 credits each) in Fall and Winter (the two course limit does not apply to the Summer semester but are subject to the normal registration limit of 20 credits). Course registration is subject to availability.
To qualify, you must:
- be 65 years of age or older by the start of classes for the term you are registering in
- be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident.
- complete the process for admission to the university by the stated deadlines and be eligible for course registration.
How to receive the tuition exemption
- The tuition-free registration period for courses begins approximately two weeks before classes begin each semester. (Contact the Office of the Registrar to confirm exact dates.)
- Register at your assigned date and time - online, over the phone with the Office of the Registrar, or in person at one of the Abbotsford, Chilliwack, or Mission campuses.
If you wish to register earlier than the tuition-free period, you may do so on a full-fee basis by contacting the Office of the Registrar; If you choose this option, you will not be able to revert back to tuition-free status, regardless of space available.
Fees not covered by the tuition exemption
Older adult students are responsible for the appropriate application fee, ancillary fees, and semester fees, as well as any mandatory supplementary course fees (if applicable).
Programs and courses exempt from tuition-free registration
Some courses and programs do not qualify for the older adult tuition exemption and require full fee payment.
Courses exempt from tuition-free registration
- Challenge (CHL) or Prior Learning Assessment (PLA)
- Continuing Education courses
- COOP – Co-op
- ELTR – Automation and Robotics
- Exchange or Study Abroad
- GD – Graphic Design
- Graduate level (700 and above)
- HSER – Human Services
- LIBT – Library and Information Technology
- MEDA – Media Arts
Programs exempt from tuition-free registration
- Applied Business Technology
- Bachelor of Education
- Certified Dental Assistant
- Continuing Education programs
- Faculty of Trades and Technology programs
- Graduate Level Programs
- Health Care Assistant
- Post-baccalaureate credentials
- Practical Nursing