The Kuldip Gill Writing Fellowship
Writer in Residence
Apply to UFV's Writer in Residence Program
The Writer in Residence term lasts for eleven weeks, from January until early April each year. The yearly application deadline is September 1. Candidates should have a substantial publishing record, including two books or the equivalent with a recognized publisher. A generous stipend is attached to the position.
Our program has been careful to balance the writer's public engagement with his or her own writing practice. While the primary function of a writing residency is to provide the writer with an extended period of time to concentrate on his or her own writing, the program consistently contributes to the wider audience's appreciation and understanding of both the writer's work and, more generally, contemporary Canadian writing.
Candidates interested in applying for the position of Writer in Residence should forward a cover letter and CV in a single Word document to:
English Department, University of the Fraser Valley
The yearly application deadline is September 1.
Activities of the Writer in Residence
The Writer in Residence is a member of the university community and is involved in a number of activities:
- pursues his or her own writing projects
- keeps office hours two days a week for consultation with members of the University and Fraser Valley community
- appears at the Mission Writers and Readers Festival to speak on the subject of writing
- participates in two readings or workshops at the university, open to those associated with the university as well as the community at large
- visits classes in creative writing and literature to offer guest lectures, but does not augment department teaching staff
- writes the foreword for Louden Singletree magazine
- writes posts for the English Department's blog, Write of Passage
Writer in Residence Committee
The Writer in Residence Committee has been established by the English Department to work in consultation with the resident writer to design and coordinate his or her schedule of duties and activities. Committee members include Andrea MacPherson, Trevor Carolan, Helene Littmann, Rajnish Dhawan, and Michelle Superle.
Past Writers in Residence