Career Services offers a variety of resources for students and alumni. Helpful handouts, career coaching appointments and drop-in sessions are available to assist you in all areas of the job search process. We also offer student business cards to help you make a great first impression.
Not sure what direction to take with your career? Are you overwhelmed with options? Contact Counseling in Student Services if you need help with career planning, exploration, or goals.
Want to start the job search process but not sure if you are ready? Connect with career coaching services to get help with your resume, cover letter, job search, and interview skills:
- Book a 1:1 career coaching appointment
- Attend an in-person career coaching drop-in session for quick coaching
- Submit your resume online for feedback and basic tips
Book a 1:1 career coaching appointment
A 30-minute career coaching appointment with a Career Peer (trained UFV Work-study student) can help you develop the following skills:
- Job search: There are many ways to job search; at your coaching appointment, a Career Peer will give you a variety of resources to help you get started.
- Resume writing: The purpose of a resume is to provide an overview of your skills, education, and experience to potential employers. At your career coaching appointment, a Career Peer will provide tips on content, formatting, and tailoring your resume to the job posting.
- Cover letter writing: Cover letters help you highlight your key qualifications and experiences that are relevant to the job posting. At your coaching appointment, a Career Peer will provide you with tips on how to showcase the relevant skills you possess and demonstrate to the employer how they will benefit from these.
- Job interview: Interviews allow the employer to get to know you and they also give you a chance to see if you are the right fit for the company. At your career coaching appointment, a Career Peer will set up a mock interview and give you feedback, along with various tips and guidelines to follow before, during, and after the interview.
How to book a 1:1 career coaching appointment
- Login to CareerLink (using your UFV student email and network password)
- Click on "Career Coaching" (top-right menu)
- Fill out the requested fields and then submit your request
After you have requested an appointment, you will receive a confirmation email once we review the booking request. If you receive a cancellation email, please reschedule.
If you would prefer an in-person appointment instead of a virtual appointment, please email firstname.lastname@example.org a minimum of four business days prior to the appointment to request a change of format.
Attend a drop-in session
Drop-in sessions are available on a first-come, first-serve basis. Make sure to bring a printed copy of your resume, cover letter, and a copy of the job posting you are interested in (if applicable).
Check UFV Events for drop-in session availability. Don’t forget to follow CECE (@ufvjobs) on social media for updates on services throughout the year!
Submit your resume for feedback
Looking for quick tips on how to improve your resume? Review our resources and then submit your resume for feedback from a Career Peer.
Within 5 business days, you will receive an email from a Career Peer with three tips for improvements. For in-depth feedback and coaching, book a career coaching appointment through CareerLink.