Skip to main content


Academic standing FAQ

All students are required to maintain a 2.00 Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) in their academic courses in order to remain in Good Academic Standing at UFV. Students cannot graduate from an academic credential at UFV with a CGPA below 2.00.

Learn more about CGPA

All students have their Academic Standing calculated at the end of every semester after grades have been reported.

If you have received a UFV Notice of Academic Standing, your Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) dropped below 2.00 in the previous semester, you are no longer in Good Academic Standing, and you should plan to return to Good Academic Standing as soon as possible. Students placed on probation have a 10-credit registration restriction applied to their next semester prior to registration.

You can return to Good Academic Standing from any of the levels of probation by raising your Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) to a minimum of 2.00.

There are three levels of academic probation: Academic Warning, Academic Probation, and Continued Academic Probation.

If you have been placed on probation you will have a notation placed on your permanent record and you may not register in more than 10 credits in your next semester and each semester thereafter until your Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) returns to 2.00.

If you have been notified that you have been Required to Withdraw, a notation will be placed on your permanent record and you will not be permitted to register in academic courses for two semesters on a first withdrawal, four semesters on a second withdrawal, and three years on a third withdrawal. If you are already registered in academic classes in your next semester, you will be withdrawn and your fees will be refunded.

You may apply for readmission to any semester that begins after your withdrawal period to any program to which you meet the admission requirements. If you are returning after a second withdrawal your application must be accompanied by an educational plan. If you are returing after a third withdrawal you must appeal for readmission.

On readmission you must maintain a minimum 2.00 semester GPA in every semester until your Cumulative Grade Point Average (CGPA) returns to 2.00 or you will be Required to Withdraw again.

If both your Cumulative Grade Point  Average (CGPA) and Semester Grade Point Average (GPA) continue to be below 2.00 you will move to the next level of probation and will eventually be Required to Withdraw.

You may remain on probation for as long as you need to bring your CGPA up to 2.00 as long as your Semester GPA is 2.00 or above. Please note: students admitted to programs as of Fall 2017 cannot graduate with a CGPA below 2.00.

If you believe your Academic Standing is incorrect please contact

To appeal for special consideration a Required to Withdraw status please follow the format and instructions found at Academic Standing Appeals.

To request an increase your 10-credit registration maximum you are required to meet with an advisor to go over your academic plan. Your advisor is able to request an adjustment to your credit maximum on your behalf by sending an email to and cc

Your advisor will want to know the number of credits you are requesting and why an increase to the credit maximum is academically in your best interest. Note that a request for a change to the 10-credit registration maximum is only applicable to your next semester and will need to be re-submitted each semester.