If you discover a fire in the building:
Pull the fire alarm
- Immediately activate the closest fire pull alarm.
- Stay calm and evacuate in a quick and orderly manner. Walk, do not run.
- To help contain the fire, close windows and doors that are near to you on your way out, but only do so if it is safe.
- Use the stairway to evacuate; do not use the elevator(s).
- If possible, assist anyone having difficulty evacuating. If needed, assist occupants that are unable to evacuate or cannot negotiate the stairs to the nearest designated Area of Refuge.
Go to the nearest assembly area
- Upon exiting the building, proceed to the closest evacuation assembly area.
- Do not re-enter the building until the Fire Department gives permission to do so. When ok, the "all clear" will be sounded to allow building occupants to re-enter the building.