Lockdown is an emergency procedure intended to secure and protect occupants who are at risk from an immediate violent threat. By controlling entry/exit and movement within a facility, emergency personnel are better able to contain and handle any threats. It is essential for the safety of occupants and emergency responders that individuals comply with instructions provided by emergency personnel at all times.
Upon alert to lockdown:
Find a safe place to hide
- If you are in a classroom, room or office, stay there, secure the door and windows and await further instructions (or an escort from emergency personnel).
- If the door does not lock, barricade the door with tables and chairs.
- If you are in a corridor, go into the closest office not already secured and lock or barricade the door and windows.
- Close curtains or blinds where possible.
- Stay away from windows and doors.
- Stay low and quiet.
- Cell phones should be put on quiet or vibrate mode. Do NOT make non-essential calls.
Follow instructions from emergency personnel only
- During lockdown, if the fire alarm is activated, remain where you are and await further instructions from emergency personnel.
- If possible, monitor www.ufv.ca for updates. Media reports may be unreliable.
- For their own safety, emergency personnel must initially consider all individuals as potential threats.
- It is important to follow instructions from police at all times to avoid harm and ensure the best possible response.
Actions to avoid
- Do NOT open the door once it has been secured until you are officially advised "all clear" or are certain it is emergency response personnel at the door.
- Do NOT use or hide in the washrooms.
- Do NOT travel down long corridors.
- Do NOT assemble in large open areas (e.g. cafeterias).
- Do NOT call 911 unless you have immediate concern for your safety, the safety of others, or feel you have critical information that will assist emergency personnel in the response.
Following the lockdown:
- Cooperate with emergency personnel to assist in the orderly evacuation
- Proceed to the closest emergency assembly area if advised
- The police may require individuals to remain available for questioning following the lockdown
- Safety & Security staff and/or Security Officers may be present as you exit the building to provide additional information