Floor wardens are UFV employees trained to guide the UFV community during emergencies. They also help prevent unsafe conditions in their area and encourage co-workers and students to participate in emergency drills.
Floor warden responsibilities
Knowledge of assigned area and emergency procedures
- Be familiar with your assigned areas, including areas of refuge, to ensure a safe and orderly evacuation of building occupants in the event of an emergency evacuation.
- Participate in orientation and training opportunities.
- Participate in regular drills.
- Participate in post emergency assessments.
Be an advocate for fire prevention and floor safety
- Regularly check your assigned areas for accumulation of combustible materials.
- Regularly check for dangerous ignition sources.
- Report malfunctioning exit signs and check for adequate lighting in public areas.
- Ensure that exit routes are not obstructed.
- Report any safety concerns or hazards to Safety & Security immediately.
To become a floor warden at UFV
The emergency management team approaches departments for volunteers to fill the floor warden role any time there is a gap in coverage for a specific building area. However, employees are encouraged to volunteer to become a floor warden for their department at any time. To do so, please email Safety & Security.