Skip to main content

School of Education

Program FAQ

If you have completed course prerequisites for EDUC 200 or EDUC 300 at another education institution, you may still register for these classes with permission. Please use the prerequisite waiver form to submit your request.

Frequently asked questions — Bachelor of Education (BEd)

Applications for the Bachelor of Education as a second degree open on October 1 and close on January 31. Each cohort begins in mid-August and ends the following June. 

We strongly encourage you to attend a Teacher Education info session well ahead of your application.

Within the Bachelor of Education, there is the Elementary/Middle school option and the Secondary school option. Both run parallel to each other and are 10 months in length. Courses are typically scheduled Monday to Friday from 9 am to 4 pm, though sometimes it is necessary to schedule classes into the evening and on Saturdays. There are two practica as part of the program: a 5-week school experience in the fall and a 12-week certifying practicum in the winter semester.

You need to have a recognized Bachelor's degree with a minimum of 120 credits.

  • For the Elementary/Middle school option, there are eight specific elementary breadth courses which are required and 12 upper-level credits in teachable subject areas.
  • For the Secondary school option, there are specific course requirements related to each one of the four teachable subject areas (social studies, English, sciences, math).

Please see the Academic Calendar for official entrance requirements info. Applicants to either cohort will require one English composition course, one course in English literature, EDUC 200, and EDUC 300. There are specific completion deadlines for required coursework.

Please note that the BEd is currently not open to international applicants.

Classes take place at the Mission campus. Online or distance education is not available for the BEd program at UFV.

You may complete your practica in the Abbotsford, Mission, Chilliwack, Langley, Fraser-Cascade, or Maple Ridge school districts. You are expected to travel to practicum sites and in-service sessions and must have reliable means of transportation.

You can apply to both options; however, you will need to submit two separate applications.

If you choose the Secondary school option, you may ask to be considered for both the humanities and science/math stream. If you are admitted to both, you will need to choose one of the two.

There is no minimum number of hours that we require. However, we highly recommend that applicants spend time observing, volunteering and/or working in B.C. K-12 classrooms before applying. The program is competitive and most successful applicants enter the BEd with extensive experience in classroom settings and diverse environments. This experience introduces you to the complexities of the teaching profession and will help you reflect on your own motivations for wanting to become a teacher. We assess the overall quality of your experiential preparation, so you should provide us with specific details on your resume. 

No. However, you need to provide your supervisor’s information and contact along with your self-reported hours so that the School of Education may verify with them if necessary.

You should be prepared to accept a placement deemed appropriate by the department. While every effort is made to place you in a school within a reasonable distance from your home, you should be prepared to travel up to one hour to your school placement. Coordinators consider many factors in finding the best possible placement, including an environment that optimizes your professional growth. It is the coordinator’s role to make contact with school administration and staff to recruit teacher mentors and facilitate placements. Practicum sites are selected from the Chilliwack, Mission, Abbotsford, Langley, Fraser-Cascade, and Maple Ridge school districts.

The Bachelor of Education consists of three semesters with a total of 55 credits. In 2024/2025, tuition fees and ancillary costs are estimated at approximately $13,000 for all three semesters. Tuition fees will be paid in installments for each one of the three semesters, according to the credit load in each semester.

Books and additional supplies cost approximately $800. The criminal record check (required by the Ministry of Public Safety for all prospective teacher candidates) is currently $28. In addition, you must have a reliable mode of transportation for travel to and from practica sites.

Finally, other expenses you'll need to cover include fees for teacher certification ($250), annual professional memberships ($90), and a professional wardrobe.

Once you have submitted your application, the Office of the Registrar and the School of Education ensure that all your documents (transcripts, references, and résumé) have been received. If your application is considered "complete", it is forwarded to the School of Education Admissions committee for review. Interviews will then be made available by invitation. These will take place during the first two weeks of March. Admission decisions are usually made by mid-April.

Your application is evaluated for your academic requirements (specific course work), GPA, overall program preparation (experiences), and reference reports. In addition, the Multi Mini Interviews (MMI) will assess non-cognitive dispositions such as critical thinking, an inclusive orientation, and your communication skills.

No. If you have volunteer work as any of the following: Education Assistant, Unclassified Teacher Teaching on Call, etc. You will want to highlight this experience on your resume as part of the program preparation section of your application.

No. The BEd program is only offered in a condensed format over 10.5 months, starting in mid-August and completing in mid-June.  

When exploring BEd options, applicants volunteer in classrooms for elementary/middle schools and secondary schools, ask teachers for each for informational interviews, and research labour market information . Elementary school teachers are generalists while secondary school teachers are more specialized.

See the WorkBC Labour Market Information for Elementary School Teachers or WorkBC Labour Market Information for Secondary School Teachers for information on earnings, outlook, areas of need, resources, etc.


Frequently asked questions — Early Childhood Education (ECE)

Yes, we need a current transcript at the time of your application, and then we’ll need an updated copy of your high school transcript after you graduate.

You can apply to the Early Childhood Education as an international student. See how to apply as an international student.

See UFV International tuitions & fees for cost information.

If you have a university education from your home country contact UFV International to ask if your credits can be transferred.

The ECE diploma is currently under review. To be added to a contact list for when the program is back up, please email with your name.

We send offers of admission to your UFV student email address in late April.

Yes. To work in a childcare centre, you need to be registered for at least one ECE class.

Register with the BC ECE registry to work as an educator.


Frequently asked questions — Master of Education (MEd)

Please send your questions about the MEd using the online contact form and we'll respond as soon as possible.