Employees are eligible for a per diem to cover meal costs while traveling on University business, or they may be reimbursed by submitting detailed/itemized receipts. Either method may be used but only one method can be applied per trip.
Per Diem and Meal Expense claims require an employee to complete an authorized Expense Claim Form and submit to Accounts Payable (A291) no later than 30 days following the expenditure.
Learn how to complete an Expense Claim Form
Method 1 - Meal Expense
Reasonable expenses for meals taken while traveling on University business can be claimed by completing an Expense Claim Form, attaching original receipts and indicating the purpose of the meeting/trip. The cost for meals may also be reimbursed on the basis of a per diem rate without the need to furnish receipts (see Method 2).
- An employee is not permitted to claim an allowance when meals are included in registration fees for seminars and conferences or are included in air travel.
- The purchase of alcohol will only be permitted for hospitality functions with the approval of a Vice President or higher.
- When the cost of meals to be reimbursed includes other employees or guests, their names must be claimed with the following provision: the name(s), title(s) and company or business relationship of the people to the University must be included on the expense claim form and marked on the back of the receipt.
- Credit card payments should include an itemized receipt along with a credit card receipt. A credit card receipt alone is not sufficient.
- Tipping is reimbursable to a maximum of 20% of the pre-tax amount for food and refreshments.
Method 2 - Per Diem
Employees are eligible for a per diem to cover meal costs while traveling on University business. Complete an Expense Claim Form, indicate the dates of travel and the purpose of the meeting/trip. Receipts are not required when claiming a per diem.
- An employee is not permitted to claim a per diem when meals are included in registration fees for seminars and conferences or are included in air travel.
- Per diem meal allowances may only be claimed by individual employees for themselves.
- If you are charging your meals to a UFV expense credit card, you cannot claim per diems.
- Per diem rates below include tips and taxes.
The per diem rate for travel outside of Canada and the US will be guided by the Government of Canada Treasury Board rates for the applicable country unless otherwise stated on the expense claim. Per diem rates will be the responsibility of the Director of Finance. Please contact email@example.com prior to traveling for the appropriate rate.
Where a research funding agency has a per diem limit that is different than UFV’s, the traveler will be reimbursed based on the agency’s rate unless otherwise approved by the traveler’s research supervisor and the Director of Finance.