Faculty Sabbatical Leave
Due November 30th each year
The Faculty Sabbatical Leave applies to all permanent UFV faculty.
Sabbatical Application PowerPoint Presentation 2018
Completed applications for 2019-2020 will be due November 30, 2018, with other deadlines in September and October (e.g. to your Department/ School, and your Dean).
This program provides an extended period of time for faculty to engage in a program of research or other appropriate scholarly activity, an opportunity to upgrade professional skills, acquire new competencies or credentials, or engage in approved teaching and learning activities, including course or curriculum development work.
Please download and complete the applicable forms:
2019-2020 Faculty Sabbatical Handbook
2019-2020 Faculty Sabbatical Application Form
Sabbatical Workshop PowerPoint Presentation
Faculty Sabbatical Final Report
Faculty Sabbatical Deferral Form - for further information regarding deferrals, please see below.
Email complete application packages to the Research, Engagement & Graduate Studies department at email@example.com.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact Adrienne Chan by email or by phone at 604-504-7441 ext. 4074.
For further information on how to complete the sabbatical application form, please view this Sabbatical Workshop PowerPoint Presentation for helpful details.
- Duration of leave is one academic year (12 months)
- September 1st or January 1st start date
- Split sabbatical periods are not eligible
- Twelve month sabbaticals paid at 90% salary for 12 months
- Faculty may choose to top-up their salary during the 12 month period by using their banked sections
- Final reports are due 2 months after the end date of the sabbatical leave. If the leave is for the calendar year, ending December 31, the report is due February 28. If the leave is for the academic year, ending August 31, the report is due October 31.
- Faculty are not eligible to teach overload sections during the sabbatical leave period.
- Sabbbatical leave periods cannot overlap with other releases (i.e. Research Option/ Scholarly Activity)
FACULTY SABBATICAL LEAVE DEFERRALS
DEPARTMENT HEAD DEFERRALS — Eligibility
Department Heads who are or become eligible for sabbatical during the term of office as department head may have their eligibility for a subsequent sabbatical reduced by a maximum of three years under the following conditions:
- A deferral request form must be submitted to and approved by the Dean and must include the date on which the sabbatical will be taken.
- Deferred sabbatical must be taken within two academic years of stepping down as head.
- Department Heads who do not take the deferred sabbatical within the two year period will lose eligibility for the reduction in the qualifying period for a next sabbatical.
- The sabbatical must be applied for and approved through the regular application process at the time it will be taken.
REGULAR FACULTY DEFERRALS - Eligibility
Should multiple faculty members within a department become eligible for a sabbatical within the same year, the departmental plan shall be reviewed with the Dean to determine the appropriate sabbatical allocation.
Faculty members who are unable to take their sabbatical at the point that they qualify may have their eligibility for a subsequent sabbatical reduced by a maximum of one academic year under the following conditions:
- A deferral request form must be submitted to and approved by the Department Head and Dean. Except in the case of Department Heads, a deferral request myst be submitted with a sabbatical application, and will be registered on approval of the sabatical plan.
- Sabbatical must be taken within one academic year from original deferral.
- Faculty members who do not take the deferred sabbatical within the one year period will lose eligibility for the reduction in the qualifying period for a next sabbatical.
- The sabbatical must be applied for and approved through the regular applciation process before a deferral may be granted.