A sabbatical leave provides an extended time for faculty to:
- Engage in research or scholarly activity,
- Upgrade professional skills,
- Acquire new competencies or credentials, or
- Engage in approved teaching and learning activities, including course or curriculum development.
The duration of leave for teaching faculty is one academic year, beginning January 1 or September 1. The duration of leave for non-teaching faculty, education advisors, and directors is four months.
All Type B Faculty, full-time and part-time, are eligible for sabbatical leave after seven (7) years of continuous service. Employees granted leave must continue working at the university for twice the leave period or be subject to repayment of their sabbatical funds.
Apply by November 15
- Log in to your ROMEO account (or create one)
- Click on "Sabbatical Application Form"
- Complete and submit the application in ROMEO by November 15
Please refer to the Sabbatical handbook and other resources below when preparing your application to ensure you are following the correct process.
Types of leave
Under the Collective Agreement, approvable sabbatical leaves must fit into one of the following six streams:
- Research Project: A program or project of research, or work leading to research, designed in a manner making it acceptable within the guidelines now in use for the ‘Research Option’.
- Scholarly Activity Project: A scholarly project or a program of activity in the creative arts designed in a manner making it acceptable within the guidelines now in use for the ‘Scholarly Activity Option’.
- Teaching and Learning Project: A project of significant educational/professional value that benefits both the individual and the institution.
- Curriculum Development Project: A course or program curriculum development project relevant to UFV’s current or planned programs.
- Course or Training Program: Enrolment and participation in a training or educational program leading to new skills and competencies relevant to the faculty’s present or future teaching responsibilities.
- Completion of Requirements for New Credentials Program: Course work, or research towards the completion of the requirements for new credentials relevant to the faculty’s responsibilities at UFV.
Visit the Human Resources website for more information.