The Early Intervention Support Program (EISP) is a completely confidential program that is fully supported by your university and union and provides a proactive service that facilitates a return to work in a caring, safe, and timely manner. Manulife Financial, through the Abilities Management Access (AMA) program, is the provider for our Early Intervention Support Program.
Return to work and medical accommodation following injury, illness or disability
The Early Intervention Support Program can be used to:
- Facilitate appropriate and customized return to work and medical accommodation programs for employees with occupational and non-occupational disabilities.
- Reduce intermittent absences and short-term absences due to disability from becoming long term absences.
- Prevent feelings of isolation.
- Assist the employee to:
- Re-establish a sense of control
- Obtain appropriate health and rehabilitation services
- Avoid "run-around" from health professionals
- Have a successful outcome
The Early Intervention Support Program is designed to complement the existing disability plans by facilitating a customized service for employees absent from work or who are requesting a medical accommodation to effectively assist in a return to work in a safe and timely manner.
The Early Intervention Support Program provides services such as:
- Absence assessment
- Identify the anticipated duration of the absence and make recommendations for a safe and timely return to work, suggesting whether modified or restricted work is possible.
- Case management intervention
- Provide a proactive support system focused on an early and safe return to work.
- Treatment facilitation
- Offer options for treatment and make appropriate referrals to a medical specialist. For example, in some cases, it makes sense to utilize private surgical facilities rather than having an individual wait 8-12 months for a surgery date. At this time, the types of surgeries offered through these private clinics are limited, but they are considered through the EISP where appropriate. Accessing these clinics is done by the provider in conjunction with the employee and the treating physicians.
- Return to work facilitation
- Support the transition back to work by suggesting solutions such as modified duties/hours, before resuming full-time hours.
Early Intervention Support Program process
- Our Early Intervention Support Team (EIST) is comprised of equal representation from both the union and the employer.
- When you have been absent from work for five (5) consecutive working days or there has been a pattern(s) of absenteeism from work, or if you have requested a medical accommodation, a member of the Early Intervention Support Team will contact you. If it is determined that you will not be returning to work in the immediate future (2-3 days) and/or are requesting a medical accommodation, the Early Intervention Support Team will initiate the intake process.
- The Early Intervention Support Team (EIST) will advise the AMA case manager at Manulife that you have been referred to the Early Intervention Support Program. You will be provided with an Employee Declaration and Attending Physicians Statement to complete and submit to Manulife.
- Once the Manulife AMA Case Manager receives the completed forms, they will contact you within 24 hours to conduct a telephone interview. A separate telephone interview will be conducted with the EIST representative.
- When the Early Intervention Support Program intake process is completed, the case manager will be better able to assess your situation. Their objective is to ensure you are receiving the best medical care and when appropriate, the Health & Disability coordinator and case manager will coordinate a rehabilitation plan that will assist you in returning to work in a safe and supported manner.
- The Manulife AMA Case Manager will remain in contact with you until your successful return to work. Should your illness or injury result in a longer absence, the AMA case manager will assist you with the process of applying for Long Term Disability (LTD) benefits.
Notes: Manulife Financial is an independent service provider that is bound by strict confidentiality requirements. Information provided to AMA program will NOT be shared with your employer or with the union unless you authorize it.
As part of the Early Intervention Support Program, all support staff members are required to participate in the EISP when referred and to cooperate with the Manulife AMA Case Manager and their associates. This also applies to employees who are in receipt of WorkSafeBC or Short Term Disability (STD)/sick leave benefits.